Thursday 7 September 2017

Michael Andrews

"To be released and unselfconscious - how wonderful that would be" - Michael Andrews.

I've been so excited to share this blog post with you guys today! My friend and I visited the Gagosian Gallery in London, they announced an exhibition of works by the late Michael Andrews. I studied Art & Design for a year in college so I was over the moon when I discovered this exhibition.

In this exhibition, selected works from his five related series were presented under three elemental themes: earth, air and water. Andrew's work is radically different. With a few exceptions, his paintings after 1970 are devoid of people, though not without an implied human presence or drama.





The exhibition began with a small section devoted to the Colony Room, the private members' drinking club in Soho frequented by Francis Bacon, Lucian Freud, Michael Andrews, Frank Auerbach and other bohemians.

At the core of the exhibition, paintings from the seven-part cycle of the 1970s that Michael Andrews called Lights. A painting which imagines a gas balloon floating over a succession of landscapes, from field to sea, from Waterloo Bridge to Brighton Pier - in search of an ideal resting place.







Above are some images that I captured myself and others which I took from the website.

I hope you've enjoyed this blog post and I strongly recommend this exhibition to any art lover out there, I believe the show ends March 25th 2017.

I'll link the Gagosian Gallery website for anybody interested: https://www.gagosian.com/

Brandi Kristine

Photo Credit: Myself, Gagosian Website 
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Brandi Kristine | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Crafted by pipdig